The rescheduled evacuation of Nigerians who are stranded in South Africa will commence on Wednesday following readiness by concerned authorities in that country.
In the heat of tension between Nigeria and South Africa last week, Air Peace offered to airlift those who are willing to return home following the recent attacks on Nigerians and their businesses by South African mobs.
Prince Ben Okoli, president, Nigeria Citizens Association, South Africa (NICASA) said all efforts are geared towards evacuation of those who are ready to come back home.
Though he was not able to put a figure to the number of affected persons, Okoli however said the figure is in hundreds as many have lost their means of livelihood and nothing to fall back to.
The association, he said is however still pushing ahead for the demand of compensation as there are sufficient intelligence and evidence available to them that the attacks were premeditated and orchestrated.
He also noted that normalcy is gradually returning, there is no longer tension, or violence against any set of people. The violence and hostility have ceased.
“So many Nigerian have been affected by this and lots have been highly distressed and nothing to fall back to. So some of them affected have decided to call it quit to go back to Nigeria.
“Presently, we are collating the data of Nigerians that are to be evacuated back to Nigeria because the first batch will be leaving sometime early next week (this week).
“Well we have it on a good record that they will be leaving on Wednesday.”